Tuesday, August 4, 2009

再見香港 zai jian xiang gang














As I prepare to leave home, it's only fitted that I blog about one of my favorite restaurants and cuisine of all time- Shanghainese by Crystal Jade. Now, I have never been to Shanghai and have therefore concluded that my palate has not been acquainted with true Shanghainese flavors, but that doesn't stop me from loving this huge chain restaurant across Hong Kong.

Of course, siu long bao 小籠包 is a must. To this day, I have never encountered a place that is capable of making these succulent dumplings with such thin skin whilst being able to hold in a mouthful of soup. Dishes ordered when I frequent this delightful haven are: Dam Dam Min 擔擔麵 (slightly spicy peanut sauce noodles), chicken and cucumber noodle salad served with a sesame oil & peanut butter sauce, and lou ba sou 蘿蔔酥 (shredded turnip fried in little dumplings). I also recommend their shrimp fried in ham dan 鹹蛋 (salty egg).


Words cannot express how much I will miss this place. If you're in Hong Kong and have never been to Crystal Jade, shame on you...

man man sik,
Elyssa Yuen

2 comments:

  1. that's right, the best thing about siu long bao is the soup inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had siu long bao while in NYC. It was pretty cool that the soup was inside...

    ReplyDelete