Monday, June 29, 2009

Not so Authentic Curry Chicken Naan

I've had many Indian food in my life. I used to buy Naan in a farmers market when I was in High School all the time. And at Syracuse, there's an Indian restaurant where I go often for the lunch buffet. Of course, I can't tell you how the most authentic Indian food taste like (since I've never been to India.) But I can tell that the Indian restaurant I went with JCheng was definitely not that great. Mirch Masala, meaning chillies and spices.
The restaurant's environment was very nice, a lot nicer than I thought. I have always imagined Indian restaurants stink with curry smell, small and dirty. But this one has no smell, and the decoration was more like Chinesey, there are lanterns written in Chinese words. Also, even though the staff there are all Indian, they speak fluent Canto which kinda scares me. I was very intimidated by it. I guess the restaurant has the whole mindset of getting a business going. Since it's set foot in Hong Kong, it gotta attract the largest population here -- Chinese.

Anyways, so I wasn't very fond of the environment, but that's okay. Their menu was pretty attractive. The lunch menu was cheap, like.. legit CHEAP! It was $38 HKD (which is about $4.5 USD). The lunch set includes soup, appetizer, the main meal, rice, naan and a drink.

I ordered curry chicken. The curry taste doesn't give out the essence of the Indian culture. It doesn't taste like you're in India. I would say the naan was too hard and tasteless. The food looks real good but the quality of everything is just so-so. I enjoyed the cheap meal but if I could choose, I wouldn't come back again for the quality. This restaurant located in Causeway Bay, in the food building right next to Island Beverly Center, on the 7th floor.

One last thing, the staff there are not the nicest. Our friend Ricky didn't finish the food and one of the waitors came up to our table and asked, "How come you didn't finish the food? Is it not good? It's very good! Try it! Try it!" (Imagine in the whole Indian accent English.) He looked like he was going to use his hand and pick up the chicken and stuff it into Ricky's mouth. I was sitting there wordless. It was THE awkward moment. Those staff give you a headache and their sarcasm is in the air if you don't eat their food. But in general, I guess it's an okay restaurant. I wouldn't exactly recommend that place if you're looking for the quality. Go there for the cheap price and AC.

PS. Only go for lunch time! Cause they dont' have dinner set at night apparently! It'll be a rip off if you go for dinner!!

Eat Up!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment