Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pet Cakes from Arome Bakery

Arome Bakery (東海堂) released a line of adorable animal mousse cakes this summer, each one selling for HKD15, pretty pricey for a small piece of cake. And to be honest, it was more for the amusement than for the taste. My family didn't know how to put the fork down, on it's face? Eat the chocolate ear first? Eating a mousse cake never felt so morbid.

Inside the mousse is fruit and a small piece of yellow sponge cake. Honestly, it tastes so generic. My friend Shelley's display picture on her iPhone is the picture of the piggly wiggly because she says it reminds her of her significant other. Maybe this cake would be good for special occasions like V Day or an anniversary, where funny-looking food can be appreciated in a crowd. My brother had too much fun eating his doggy's face, and my dad had way too much fun putting the fork into the pig's face and jiggling the mousse around. My mum chose to eat her bunny's ears first, leaving it looking like a bald sorry bunny. I just tried not to imagine I wasn't eating an animal staring straight at me.

Maybe once in a blue moon I'd want to eat something so amusing in appearance. Otherwise I'd warn all passengers to beware and stay away!

Bon voyage,
Jenny Cheng

No comments:

Post a Comment