Thursday, July 2, 2009

Daily Bread

'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" - Matthew 4:4

Point taken! And the word of God is often referred to as the daily bread, because it fills us up, a meal wouldn't be a meal without some good ol' carbo! I've always loved bakeries, Chinese or Western. When I was young, my friends and I would save money and buy food from the supermarket to sneak into the cinema, while everyone bought chips and sweets, I'd be a geek and buy French rolls. As I got older, I stopped liking French bread and returned to childhood tastes and began to grow fond of Cantonese bakeries. Every time I return home from the US, I'd go straight to a bakery and pick my all-time favorite pineapple bun (波蘿包). Now that's my bread 'n butter.

The last time I made bread was years ago for Food Tech class, and now I'm giving it another try. I was following a recipe and wanted to try adding a green tea flavor, so I used Nestle's foamy green tea powder which give the dough blue spots for some reason. Aha, they used food coloring to make the powder green! How unnatural, tsk tsk tsk. Anyway, I was too cheap to buy matcha, real green tea powder.

Kneading the dough is my favorite part of breadmaking, because it's like playing with playdoh. Bread kneaded well will be very soft.

Cutting a slit to make the insides cook faster.

Waiting for an hour for the bread to prove, or the yeast to rise. During Passover, only unleavened bread is served which is bread with no yeast, some like to call it the 'Feast Without Yeast.' The yeast is supposed to symbolize arrogance, literally causing one's ego to rise.

And here's my mistake! I didn't brush milk or egg on the surface of the dough, so the dough didn't turn brown. And my brother said it tasted bland and boring. But spreading some jam, nutella or peanut butter will make the bread come alive. I heated up the bread this morning and had it with currant jelly, yep, that's my bread 'n butter.

Bon voyage,
Jenny Cheng

1 comment:

  1. you made bread!! haha good stuff jen lol. Your bro doesnt sugar coat anything does he?

    ReplyDelete