Monday, July 27, 2009

there's food on lockhart road?!

Lockhart Road- The number one pit stop for marines when in Hong Kong. Associated with its vast selection of strip clubs and bars, Lockhart is the farthest thing from being 'family friendly.' This summer I had the pleasure of venturing to Wan Chai's most famous street every day for work. I interned for Time Out Magazine and as you can imagine, there were always interesting people to listen in on or to people watch. The most exciting part of my day however was my lunch hour with the interns. I met a group of awesome people, and each day we selected a new place to eat. On the day of my departure we decided to try a Thai restaurant right across our office (located between two strip clubs-duh). Given my extremely scatter brained nature, I completely forgot the name of the place, but I can tell you that you'll know it when you see it. The food resembled that of a home cooked meal, not mine of course, but the Thai intern Pariya claims it was quite legit. I would suggest ordering off the lunch menu. I ordered fish served in soy bean paste with rice, and all lunch meals come with a drink (the cold lemongrass water was delightfully herbal). The fish reminded me of a less oily light version of gerupa, and the sauce it sat in was awfully yummy-not as dense as it looks in the photo. After we finished eating, we were each presented with an extremely vibrant traditional coconut dessert (too vibrant if you ask me). I wasn't impressed, but it was fun to play with and take apart.

All in all, surprisingly good meal for the price of $45, and probably the most wholesome little spot on Lockhart Road.


man man sik,
Elyssa Yuen

No comments:

Post a Comment